BIRMINGHAM BOTANICAL GARDENS
2612 PARK LANE ROAD
Birmingham AL 35223
Seminar includes Breakfast, Lunch & Snacks
▪ In the first presentation, learn clearly and practically what you need to know for design or investigation of a post-tensioned
floor system, or beam frames. Become skilled in the underlying concepts and their practical applications.
▪ In the second presentation, follow step by step the long-hand design of a real-life column-supported post-tensioned floor.
▪ Find out if and how ACI 318-14 affects your post-tensioning designs.
▪ Become familiar with underlying basics and differences of the commercially available software for post-tensioning design.
▪ Learn about new and efficient migration to the integrated design of entire building frames, all in the environment of a single
building model, including post-tensioning. Avoid errors in transferring data from one software to the next; thus saving time
and avoiding costly errors.
▪ PT Installation and Durability Considerations: Discuss requirements for encapsulated P-T systems depending on exposure,
installation of P-T systems, pre-pour checklist, sheathing repairs and cathodic protection.
▪ Designing PT Repairs: Understanding the root cause, methods for developing a successful repair plan starting with drawing
review, visual inspection, non-destructive testing and internal component inspection.
▪ Repairs Strategies and Techniques: Discuss structural and personnel safety, slab anchor replacement, button-head system
repairs, splice repairs, strand replacement and slab modifications.
Seminar Instructor Bios:
Bijan Aalami, PhD, SE, is Emeritus Professor of San Francisco State University, founder and principal of ADAPT Corporation,
a structural engineering and software company specializing in analysis and design of concrete structures, with specific reference
to post-tensioning. Dr. Aalami, a legend of the Post-tensioning Institute and co-recipient of the ACI design award, has been actively engaged in the design for 33 years in construction of numerous notable post-tensioned buildings, bridges and special structures worldwide. He is recipient of American Concrete Institute’s Design award. His extensive educational seminars and publications have enriched the practice of many design engineers worldwide. His recent book on “Design of Post-Tensioned Buildings,” provides a comprehensive and practical account of post-tensioning design and construction of building structures.
Clyde Ellis, is a Vice President with VSL/Structural Technologies who provides leadership to their transportation repair and
strengthening division. Based in the Springfield, VA branch office, Mr. Ellis brings 15 years of experience with a focus on forensics,
force protection, structural strengthening, and corrosion protection systems. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Architectural
Engineering from North Carolina A&T State University and Master of Science degree in Civil Engineering from Lehigh University. Mr. Ells is a past President and Board Member of ACI National Capital Chapter in Washington, DC. He is a member of PTI and a voting committee member for DC-35 Prestressed Rock and Soil Anchor Committee and DC-80 Repair, Rehabilitation and Strengthening Committee.
Click here for a Registration Form:
SEAoAL has set up special room rates for those of you traveling from out of town.
Rooms must be booked by Aug. 8th for special rates (5 minutes from Birmingham Botanical Gardens).
1309 19th St. South 35209
Special SEAoAL rates $145 click to book on line
Rooms also available at:
2731 US 280 Birmingham 35223
2020 Platinum Sponsors
Alabama Concrete Industries Association
Alabama Professional Services
Parrot Structural Services, LLC.
The Prewitt Group
Copyright 2019: Structural Engineers Association of Alabama
Structural Engineers Association of Alabama is a 501(c)6 non-profit organization.
P.O. Box 660584, Birmingham, AL 35266